Sunday, November 11, 2007

Team Player of the Year

File Under Running.

Reed Connor of the Woodlands High (My high school's arch-rival) in Texas won my respect this weekend. He was in 5th place going into the last 100 meters at the Texas State Cross Country Meet for big schools when he collapsed from dehydration. He got up and wobbled the final 25 meters and finished 5th on his team to beat Southlake Carroll by 6 points. This is one of the gutsiest moves I've ever seen. He was later taken to the hospital and given 4 liters of fluid by IV and is in good condition.

If you want to see the video of this amazing feat, check out FloTrack and watch the 5A boys finish.

What is also amazing is that since 1981, Kingwood (my high school) and the Woodlands have won the State XC meet 22 out of the last 25 years. That's a pretty good dynasty for both teams.

I also want to give a shout out to the Lady Mustangs at Kingwood High for winning their 7th State Championship.

No comments: