Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Skoda T15 LRV

As you all know, I'm a fan of light rail vehicles. So much so that I went running down an ally in Prague leaving my family wondering what the heck I was doing. Well I was chasing a tram I never quite saw up close but my dad was lucky enough to snap a photo after I had left to go home of the T14.

Looks like a nice tram no? Maybe a bit like a caterpillar or worm. Well Skoda has come out with a T15. Not to be confused with Luke Skywalker's T16 which bullseyed womprats, I'm not a huge fan of this new offering. At first look, it reminds me of the Peugeot my parents had when I was a kid and looks kind of like a bus rather than a train. Obviously with all the "bus that looks like a train" comments on BRT going on out there I'd like for trams and LRVs to be destinctive. But decide for yourselves. What do you all think?


6 comments:

Matthew said...

I like it much better than the T14. That thing is ugly!

But, not as much as say, the Bombardier Flexity Outlook or the Siemens Avanto, both of which are really sharp.

Heck, even the Skoda T10 is nice!

Brian Bundridge said...

I'm looking forward to that coming over to the United States under United Streetcar. That is some of the vehicles Portland Streetcar REALLY needs. I honestly believe they are now beyond using the 10T's

Justin said...

Looks nothing like a bus. The T15 is much, much better than the T14 tram.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, this one is called the "ForCity" and will also be used in Riga, Latvia, in addtion to Prague. It looks so new and sleek, compared to the very "silvery" T14, where the windows on both sides of the driver's cab look slanted.

Anonymous said...

The tradional streetcar almost always had a wrap around bumper/skirt which gave it a smile, and a headlight which gave it a nose, twin windshields gave it eyes. Thus it became almost human to many. The T-14 Looks like a Worm with a wedgie. The T-15 is more straight forward, perhaps a cyclops headlight (in addition to the standard lights) would give it some personality.

Bob at Jacksonvilletransit.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

dear author! there's too much mistakes! read your text before placing it online!