Monday, January 19, 2009

Signs in the Concrete

I went for a bit of a walk today in my neighborhood. Here are some of the signs I found. Not so much transit, but planning related. The most interesting one to me is the anti-google sign. I've seen them a number of times, and have heard complaints, not to mention seen how expensive housing has become in the neighborhood in even the three years I've been here. In any event here are some photos:

Water Department Cover
Signs in San Francisco

The Google Bus Stop. At the place where Google kids hop on the bus, someone painted this into the concrete. It says "Trendy Google Professionals Help Raise Housing Costs".
Signs in San Francisco

Obamaism
Signs in San Francisco

Vegans for McCain
Signs in San Francisco

Stop the War, March 19th
Signs in San Francisco

Mr. Seahorse Knows That No One Is Illegal
Signs in San Francisco

There were also some interesting signs and murals:

Good Fricken Chicken
Good Fricken Chicken

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack. Get the Spaghetti and Meatballs...mmm
Emmy's Spaghetti Shack

Dewar's Ad
San Francisco Sign

I'll post more interesting things I found later, but I thought the signs and stencils were funny.

8 comments:

Jaime said...

I found this very interesting, I have never seen anything like what is painted on the sidewalk.

Anonymous said...

Nice pix of the neighborhood! Viva La Lengua Libre! I love that Dewars ad.

Don't forget the street name typos!

Now for a transit related question -- why isn't there an express bus from Noe/Mission down Cesar Chavez to the 22nd St Caltrain station? Imagine if we had something timed to the Baby Bullet schedule?

Pantograph Trolleypole said...

Not sure burrito, but it sounds like a good idea to feed the line.

Unknown said...

Was just at GFC on Saturday night. First time - kids loved it. Me too!

Alon Levy said...

Ah, yes, the "rich people raise housing cost canard." I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the people raising the argument if fewer of them seemed to relish ghettos.

Richard Layman said...

If you're up for Chinese, not Chicken, this might be the place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rllayman/508815556/

2. Re the housing comment. You need people with money in order to revitalize economies. I wouldn't say that people upset about change, what they call gentrification, relish ghettoes.

They don't understand the need for income for investment, and they are upset about the reality that we haven't figured out (portfolio investment in housing, changing property taxation systems, etc.) how to maintain income variability within neighborhoods in the face of high demand for housing.

Alon Levy said...

Some of them do. Many of the neighborhood people I met on the Straphangers' Campaign forums romanticize 1970s' New York. Others don't, but still don't like the values of newcomers. Many anti-gentrification activists attack developers and urban renewal boosters who violate tenants' rights and destroy buildings, but many others ignore the developers and instead bash people who go to Starbucks and Pinkberry and listen to alternative music.

Anonymous said...

A couple of interesting storefronts (no pix, and I'm in Southern Calif.) that I've seen when visting SF: "Eezy Freezy Market" on West Portal (left side when heading outbound on K or M). "Furlough's Tonsorial Parlor" on the M, (where the track used to end in the PCC days, south side of the street).
One of my favorite "street icons" is the Golden Fire Hydrant at 20th & Church.