Saturday, March 28, 2009

Public Transit Keeps You Fit

I would tend to agree with this. Especially considering my own experience that I walk much more than when I lived in Austin because I'm not just walking to my car and driving somewhere but walking to the store and taking transit to work.
The researchers say that the fact that transit trips by bus and train often involve walking to and from stops increases the likelihood that people will meet the recommended 30 minutes of moderate physical activity a day, five days a week.

According to them, people who drove the most were the least likely to meet the recommended level of physical activity.

2 comments:

Robert said...

The character of my commute ensures that I get at least some amount of exercise in a given day, though I typically view it as unfortunate that I have to sprint 100 yards twice a day to avoid missing my connection.

In all seriousness, I view this report skeptically based on my own experiences. The overall average overweight status of the riders on the buses I ride is generally greater than those I know to not take the bus.

Anonymous said...

I actually live too close to my transit station. It's on my corner, like 10 houses away. Now when I visit my friends who live like 1/2 mile from the train, I'm totally whipped when I get there.